Saturday, November 5, 2011

New Opportunities

These days I am spending a lot of time trying to find ways to make a business that will help keep me housed, fed and comfortable. I know how to do a lot of things, just finding the focus would be helpful.


Lately, the things that are taking up most of my time are: helping several people develop business plans; working on two other families genealogy, plus my own; creating some organization in my crafts/sewing/quilting supplies in order to make some items to sell.


Oh, and did I forget to say that I'm also working hard at developing new networks of friends around the country, no, around the world.


So what is the result? Lots of hours on the internet, many hours searching through my storage boxes, looking for things I thought I still had, yes, those boxes are a challenge.


Meanwhile, I have been able to take advantage of some access to fruits and vegetables that demands I either freeze, dehydrate or can the items I can't eat immediately. So I'm getting on that google search thingy and finding some new recipes for using lots of fresh produce, like 5 lbs of brussels sprouts! Having lost most of my recipe books and kitchen equipment recently, I am now down to making do and finding new ways of being frugal and practical at the same time.


I also took three classes on starting a community garden, helped a friend look for salvagable metals for his business, and so on.


It's all about frugal living, being oriented towards recycling, sustainable farming, permaculture, and everything else I can find to make do more with less.


Are there others out there like me, who worked hard for a living, and now find themselves single, out of work and struggling to make ends meet. I think so. I actually think there are thousands of us, doing the best we can and hoping for things to get better.


No comments: