Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October 2011

Ya know, this is my birthday month, but that's not the reason I love October. I love the chill in the air, the smell of the trees as they turn, the fall colors on the plants, trees and people!
Lately, I have been noticing how many people are dressing for fall and seem to be making some colorful fashion statements at the same time.
Last Saturday I went to a community garden class that was held at Wild Willow Farms and Education Center.
The class was held outside. The farm is right next to the Tiajuana river and it was pretty chilly in the early morning as we began. It's a very interesting class and my plan includes gathering some other people and getting a garden going in east county. But mostly, I was fascinated watching as people got colder and colder and the sun finally peeped out of the mist. Each one moved very quietly over to the place where there was a patch of sun. Sitting on straw bales and shivvering. I came wrapped up in sweater, wide scarf, warm socks and heavy duty slacks. I was so confortable and happy to stay put and just enjoy the chill air.
There are many other things I love about October, like the various fruits and veggies that are so abundent in the gardens and markets these days.
I am a part of a food distribution program and the foods available this week were onions, potatoes, yellow wax beans, green tomatoes and strawberries. Yes! Strawberries in October. Grown locally. Yummy!
Ok, now I have to go get some out of the frig and gobble them down.
Signing off for now, catch ya later.
J

No comments: